Friday, November 30, 2007

The Autism Card.

My child has autism
He is not being naughty and we are not being bad parents for not reprimanding him.
Children with autism can behave in an unpredictable manner because they find it hard to cope with many everyday situations.
They are quite simply, doing their best.
Please be patient.


The word above appear on a card that was given to me by one of my son's ABA therapists. She has a son with autism as well.

I have never used this card.
I don't think I would ever use this card.

I don't feel the need to explain my son to anyone.

I know what he is capable of and what is limitations are in public
situations. I try to be prepared. He can't, at this point in his life,
have quiet hands and feet if I take him into our corner store. He just
can't and I don't expect him to. He's two. He's gonna touch things and
pull things off the shelves. The candy is at his eye level for Pete's
sake. He's gonna grab. So, I just take him into our little corner store
in his little umbrella stroller.

We do go for walks in our neighborhood and he is able to stay at my side and hold my hand. That is until we get to the cool fences that our on the next block. He likes
to run his hand along those fences. One is made of wooden pickets and one is made of metal. When the homeowners saw him do that, I didn't feel the need to pull my autism card. They weren't looking for an explanation either. A neighborly hello was exchanged and neither homeowner asked that he not touch their respective fence.

So it's all good.


In grocery stores, David does have a problem waiting while I load the
groceries onto the conveyor belt and wait quietly while I or the
cashier bag it up and I pay for my purchase. It's meltdown city then. I
still don't feel the need to pull the autism card. I try to be
prepared. I'll give him a magazine, or a package of batteries to play
with while he waits. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't.
The autism card stays in my wallet. I do try to grocery shop at
off-peak times, for my sanity and his, and to limit the exposure of
other shoppers to my screamer in lane 5.

2 comments:

Maddy said...

Right there with you dearie [lane 6!] I debated about the card thing a while but in my limited experience if you have to resort to a card to explain something to someone then just maybe they're not the sort of person that would understand anyway.
BEst wishes

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Oh, so that was you in lane 6. I should have said hi. LOL

It's another issue to ponder in our world.