Wednesday, November 28, 2007

David Knows His Colors.

David likes to connect things that snap. Plastic buckles that one finds on baby bouncy seats and my entertainment center door. To keep him from breaking yet another set of snaps, I purchased snaps just for his personal use.

Last night, well frankly, he was plucking my nerves with all the snapping. He can snap, but he can't unsnap. So, I picked some other toys to play with. Plastic rings and things. I took his snap from him and held up two plastic rings. One blue, one green. I said to David, " If you want your snap back, show me the green ring". He showed me the green ring. I thought it was a fluke, so I did it again, the second time asking for the blue ring. He correctly identified the ring. He went on to identify, blue, green, yellow, orange, and purple.

How did I miss that?
Because I never asked.

I feel so bad. I never asked. It's so simple. To ask. I just ASS-UMED that he didn't know because he is non-verbal. I won't make that mistake again.

I told his ABA therapist, Nicole, about the color identification. She worked it into his session this morning. He correctly identified all the colors he was asked to identify.

I've been selling my son short. Ugh, how could I have been so- okay- stupid?

Now I'm printing some objects to use for identification games. Animals, shapes, and letters. This is going to be a fun day. A day to get to know my son better.

1 comment:

Maddy said...

Ooo don't feel to badly [even though I know that's what we do best] I've made assumptions and mistakes all over the shop but progress keeps happening in spite of me.
Best wishes