Sunday, November 18, 2007

He Gets That From His Father

My son has a twisted sense of humor.
He gets that from his father.

Yesterday, I took my son with me to run errands. Target, Whole Paycheck, that's Whole Foods Supermarket for those of you who don't know, and Shop-Rite-that's another supermarket.

David was soooo good at Target. A bit of Target history. When David was about 12 months old, I took him and his sister to Target. David had a complete and utter nuclear explosion meltdown. Target is a big store. You could hear him screaming thoughout the entire store. He wasn't hungry and he wasn't sleepy. There was just something about Target and a supermarket on Martha's Vineyard that just set him into hysterics. During his meltdown at 12 months of age, as we were leaving the store, I had him slung over my shoulder with the eyes of the other shoppers burning into the back of my head and the sound of applause in my ears. My son, suddenly picks his head up and says oh so sweetly and with a big cheese eatin' grin on his face, " Buh BYE!" My daughter and I just looked at each other and laughed, what else could we do?

Getting back to yesterday. Target was a good experience. He lost his mind a bit at Whole Paycheck.

When I attempted to place him in the shopping cart, he spread his legs and rested his feet on the outside of the cart. He thought that was soooo funny. I didn't think that was so funny. David is 40 poounds and solid. So I'm holding this kid above my head trying to get him to put his feet where they belong. He wasn't having it. He kept his feet on the outside of the cart and he was laughing. Mocking me. It was all a game to him. I like a good joke myself, but after five minutes it ain't so funny anymore.

I finished my shopping and we went to the car. David hooked his fingers in the holes right below the push handle of the shopping cart. He wedged his fingers and hooked them. I couldn't get him out of the @#$# cart. He just laughed and laughed. I put my groceries in the car and asked him if he was ready to go and I tried to pry his little fingers from the holes. He kept laughing and shaking his head "NO" He cried when I didn't try to pry his fingers loose and laughed when I did. Geez. It was cool and rainy and I have Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde in my shopping cart.

It's weird. Since the shopping cart incident, he has been wedging his body parts into places they don't belong. He has been wedging his arms into the slats of the metal baby gates. He can't get them stuck in there, but he has been doing that since this morning. He has been placing his fingers in any little place he can find. I guess it's his new phase for his week.

3 comments:

Maddy said...

We have a lot of that too, heaven save us from the deep proprioceptive input.
Cheers

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Hi Maddy,

"Proprioceptive"...

You have taught me a new phrase. I had to look that one up. :-)

You helped me understand why he is doing what he has been doing. I wanted to stop his propreioceptive behavior and direct it elsewhere, but I decided to go with it. I let him do it and talk to him while he's getting the input he needs.

Kristin said...

Our kids like pressure and squeezing. I used to roll my son up in a blanket and apply pressure. He also likes really small places and bear hugs.