Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Ding, Time's Up

Our time with Early Intervention is coming to a close.

David began Early intervention services almost two years ago.
In those two years we have had:

Four Speech Therapists.
Three Physical Therapists.
Two Developmental Interventionists.
Two Occupational Therapists.
Ten ABA Therapists
Four Evaluators
Two Team Leaders
One Social Worker
Two Case Managers

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree

It's a bittersweet time. On one hand, the services my son needed were conveniently delivered right to my home. Every day, even on weekends. That is very good. On the other hand, I'm weary of people coming to my home every day, even on weekends.

The ending of Early Intervention moves my son to the next stage in his life:

TRANSITION.

He's going to school.

I am a huge supporter of Early Intervention. Without it, I don't know where my son would be right now. When we started he couldn't walk, he had very few moments of eye contact. He liked to spend most of his time spinning things, or watching things spin or opening and closing doors.

Now, he's a different boy. He's more aware of his surroundings and more connected with the world. He seeks attention from me and others. He is starting to communicate with sounds and signs. He has emerging skills.

Would David have grown as a person simply with the passage of time?

I don't think so.

I think the behavioral therapies made all the difference. The work is neither easy nor pleasant, but it was and will continue to be necessary.

Did we play by the rules?

Not all the time. We did what worked for David. I love the fact that our therapists listened to me and acknowledged that David is a boy first and a boy with autism second. That's important to me.

David became very comfortable with his therapists. I hope he realizes that same level of comfort with his teachers.

2 comments:

Maddy said...

Fingers crossed. It's a huge transition, and those are always scary [well for me at least!]
Best wishes

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Amy said...

The transition to school is hard, but David will be fine and do great.

Hope all is well with you and David.

Amy