Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Don't Stick Your Finger In There, Baby.

David has been seeking sensory input by sticking his fingers and his arms into really tight places. Last week I had to use margarine to remove his thumb from the one of the holes in the baby gate separating my dining room from my kitchen.

Margarine and baby oil didn't work last night.

David stuck his finger into the hole of a Pop-Bead.

David likes to wet his finger and stick it into the hole at the base of the bead. He will bite down on the bead to cause suction. He will happily sit with his finger in the bead until the suction is broken and then remove the bead and go on about his business.

Not last night.

I guess he bit down too hard, because the suction never released. We tried baby oil, we tried warm water. I told my husband to cut a hole into the top of the bead to release the suction.

The suction was finally released and we were able to remove David's finger. The skin of his knuckle remained in the bead and his finger was very swollen. I thought I broke his finger when I tried to remove the bead with the baby oil.

Off to the emergency room. We were fast-tracked, no waiting. Nice I thought that was because the triage nurse thought his finger was broken. It wasn't. We were fast tracked because of the threat of MRSA- Google that for an explanation. That has been in the news lately and there have been several reported cases in my community.

In less than an hour, we had an x-ray, a dose of antibiotic, finger cleaning and dressing, a script for a 7 day course of antibiotic, and instructions for wound care.

We discarded all of the Pop-beads. We removed any other toys with small holes in it for now.

Kids, they keep you hopping.

PS. David's ABA therapist just reported that David identified numbers 0-9. How about that!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yah David on identifying your numbers!! Here's the dumb question of the day - what's a pop bead? My oldest son also likes to get his fingers in places where they don't normally belong. At school, the nurse called to say he got his finger caught in the side of the new table! Basically they taped all sides so that won't happen again. Thank god he only had a little pinch mark. I'm glad to hear that David's finger isn't broken.

Amy

Maddy said...

Can't beat the figures! Mine had a Christmas bauble stuck on his finger for an hour this morning. I would have given in and just smashed the darned thing but it was one of those unbreakable ones. It truly was unbreakable - thank goodness for liquid soap!
Cheers

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Hi Amy-

These are the beads

http://www.ropard.org/toys_f52.jpg

It's amazing what our boys can get into.

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Maddy,

I'm glad the liquid soap worked.

amy said...

Wow - I actually saw my son's therapist bring that with her once. Hope all is well.