Thursday, December 6, 2007

Just When You Think You Know...

...you really don't.

My husband and I attended our first, in what I'm sure will be many, I.E.P. meeting.

The proposed IEP was a weighty document. Which wasn't a problem for me. I understood what an IEP is. My husband is an educator and holds a masters degree in education. So we had that covered.

Or so I thought.

I know my David is special. Special and unique. Unique in that his physical disabilities equal his autism.

What do you do with a kid like that?

His "team" admittedly, inquired about a school that would be able to meet all his needs, with equal treatment and with equal potential for success.


There isn't a school like that.

His team promised to do everything in their power to assist David and us with the challenges that we face.

You know what? I believe them.

I also realized today, that his pre-school program will not and can not provide what he needs right now. Can not because of time constraints, not because they are incapable of providing services, but there are just so many hours in a school day.

We, his parents, will have to provide more.

KA-CHING and why can't I sleep right now?

3 comments:

Maddy said...

Personally I found it was quite a relief when I realized that all the therapy in the world and the school could only do so much. They spend the majority of time with us so we have to be the leaders, a team approach.
Best wishes
This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

amy said...

Just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. I have a 3 yr old boy with PDD/NOS. My blog is: www.myworldmyboys.wordpress.com. I will add you to my list of blogs that I read daily.

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Hi Amy,

Thank you so much! I know I'm not alone, but I need to hear it once in a while. Your visit to my blog means alot to me.

Thanks for sharing your blog address with me. I'm on my way there now.

Kelly.