Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Our Visit To School

This morning David and I visited his school.

We went to participate in circle time which began at 9:30 today.

We arrived at about 9:15 and I was told by the office secretary that we would have a fire drill at 9:30.

Oh boy. Circle time and a fire drill. What a great way to start the day.

The secretary invited us to step outside before the alarm sounded since the alarm is very loud and it may have been disturbing to David.

It wasn't.

I took David outside and explained what a fire drill was. We watched the other students leave the building in a single file, quiet mouths,staying close to their teachers.

David stayed at my side or in my arms. He was quiet and smiling. That was a good thing. He wasn't disturbed by so many students.

The child study team director saw us standing in front of the building. She came to greet us and then took us to what will be David's classroom.

Circle time was FANTASTIC. David loved it. He was able to sit and participate. At first he sat in his chair with an aide behind him, then he wanted me with him. I took a seat behind him and we continued circle time.

The teacher and aides were impressed with how well David was sitting and attending- All the ABA therapy paid off!

The end of circle time was our time to leave. David did not want to leave. He dropped to the floor and cried. I literally had to drag him from the classroom.

I'm so proud of him. My baby boy is growing up!

My husband and I visited the classroom a few weeks ago. We visited at the end of the day, during snack time.

That classroom was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Initially, I was concerned by that. A classroom of 6 three and four year old boys filled with silence? Um, something is wrong. Two of the aides looked like they went one round with Mike Tyson.

On the other hand, it was the end of the day. It was snack time when quiet bodies are encouraged. I'm sure I look whupped after spending a day with David.

I have a whole new attitude after my visit today. Everyone was bright eyed and bushy tailed. All the children were attending and participating and they seemed happy and comfortable. The fire drill didn't seem to distract the students from their morning routine.

I am breathing a huge sigh of relief. I sometimes agonize over decisions I make for David. I am not in agony or experiencing any anxiety about my choice to send him to this school. I think this is a good match and I'm looking forward to the future.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Kelly, I am so happy that everything went well at school. In January my youngest son will be going through the same thing for school. Wish me luck!

Amy

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Both your babies will be in school! Whoo whoo!

All the best!