Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What Happens?

What happens if I can't care for my son?

I had an experience Sunday that shook me up a bit.

I had excruciating pain in my lower right quadrant. Excruciating in that it woke me from a deep sleep at 3:30am. Excruciating in that I couldn't stand, breathe, or move without screaming. I couldn't change my son's diaper without tears welling up in my eyes.

Ten hours in the emergency room gave me a diagnosis. Two days of excruciating pain had me thinking. What the heck would happen to my son if I weren't able to care for him?

I did what I had to do during my ordeal. I cared for him. I dosed up with Advil to take the edge off, but I carried on. I have a prescription for much much better pain relief, but I can't take the good stuff and do what I have to do.

What would happen if I suddenly became incapacitated?

I don't have a plan in place. I need a plan. A PLAN. Plans A-Z with sub-plans 1-10.

2 comments:

amy said...

I am so sorry to hear that you were in such pain. I hope you are feeling much better. I can relate to your question - I actually talked to my sister and mother about being guardians if something such happen to me. I say find someone you trust with David (like your daughter) and come up with a plan if (god forbid) something should happen to you.

Best wishes,
Amy

autismfamily said...

I have those same feelings and as a single parent made sure we all have life insurance and next I need to gain further understanding on special needs trusts and get a plan in action.

I take so many supplements in hopes that nothing happens to me.

Bonnie Sayers