Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Kirton Family

The Kirton Family lives in Utah. They are a family with six children on the spectrum. You read that correctly. Six Children.

I feel like I need to send vibes- prayers- mojo- something to Mr. and Mrs. Kirton. Something. Dayum.

I saw their interview that aired on Good Morning America on the internet. The funny thing is, I don't know why I came upon their interview. I was looking at some gossip site and listening to American Idol.

Many things about the interview touched me. The fact that there are six siblings with autism is unique for sure. A great case study for reserchers. What really moved me was that Mrs. Kirton experienced an emotional breakdown and lost her children for a time.

Oh, Mrs. Kirton. There but for the grace of God...

I live with my own struggles. I also feel isolated. No, I don't feel isolated, I am isolated. I am isolated and lonely, and anxious, and depressed. I have everything I need in preparation for the emotional meltdown. Everything. Mrs. Kirton has everything too, multiplied by six.

ABC News has a website that aired the interview and there is a text version as well where readers can leave comments. Some of the comments are cruel. Unbelievably so.

It took bravery to put themselves out there for the whole world to know. More bravery than it takes to leave a nasty anonymous internet comment.

I thank the Kirton family for sharing their lives with us. If they should read this, know that you have a friend in New Jersey who would be happy to lend an ear and a cyber hug anytime.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

hi
I stumbled upon your blog via autismbites...I will be adding you to my blog roll. I have a 13 year old son with HFA/Aspergers.
From the few blogs I have read that deal with autism and families, the common thread is isolation...I am so glad to know I am not alone...and either are you.

Amy said...

I read their story in People magazine. My heart goes out to the family - it's hard raising one child with autism - I can't imagine six. Please note that you are not alone in your feelings - and you have a bud here in NJ anytime you want to hang, cry or have a kiddos day!

Best wishes!

amy said...

Kelly, where did you see their story online (good morning america)? Can you please forward me that link - thanks!

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Amy-

Here is the link
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4249745

Dadof6Autistickids said...

Thanks for you support and kind words. We'd like friends where ever they are. And with NJ being the Autism capital in the US, I'm sure you see a lot and can teach us much. Come to our blog via our website: www.autismbistes.com Thanks, John

Dadof6Autistickids said...

Boy if I could type! The website is: www.autismbites.com

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Hi John!

Welcome to my blog!
Thank you for visiting. I hope you come again.

I have visited your blog. I'm glad that the tummy trouble is better...geez!

Hugs,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory