Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Bodyguard

When we are outside, walking to wherever, David has no problem holding my hand, walking beside me, stopping at the corners and looking both ways.

When we are inside, in public, at a store or wherever, David has extreme difficulty standing beside me, standing still while I pay for a purchase, and not walking in circles or up and down aisles.

Then it occured to me. When we are outside. HE is protecting ME.

There was an incident last summer. We were walking home from the park. A group of teen boys were walking towards us. David was very unstable on his feet last summer, so we walked slowly with David stumbling or falling every few feet.

These teen boys showed no signs of yielding. No signs of clearing a path for us to pass. David flipped his arm and held it very rigidly. He turned his hand outward so the palm of his hand was facing away from him and towards the boys. David used his arm as a barrier between the boys and me. The last boys in line received a smack on the tush from David.

He's protecting me.

I guess he's thinking that when we are indoors it's safe and it's party-time! I'm safe, so therefore it is safe for him do the things that make him happy. Those things don't make the storekeepers happy, but I can only work on one issue at a time.

5 comments:

amy said...

What a big boy protecting mommy! My boys are like "Um, mom, you are on your own!". ha,ha

Enjoy this lovely weather!

Amy

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

The weather was great today wasn't it? How are the boys? Is school going well?

Osh said...

that is so sweet! enjoy it!

Multifuncional said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

Grandma Gerri said...

What a sweet boy