Wednesday, May 14, 2008

We Must Make Time for Ourselves

Motherhood means that having time for yourself is a luxury that doesn't happen everyday. It also means that doing something just for you and not your husband, kids, significant other or life-partner is almost impossible.

The thing I love doing most in the whole wide world is reading- Ok, it's not my favorite thing, but it's the thing I'm going to share with all of you.

Reading has always been important to me. I learned to read when I was four. Grown-up books. Books without pictures.

I have an older brother, Leon. He is four years older. He was the other reader in our household. Everytime I saw him reading, I begged him to read to me. From grown-up books. Not baby books with pictures. One day, he was done with my begging and announced that he was going to teach me to read.

Some forty years later, I still remember that book. Who Goes in My Garden by Ethel Collier. I remember the green hard cover. I remember it's slightly musty odor. I remember my brother pointing to each word, saying the word and having me repeat the word. He read that book to me until I could read the words back to him.

Teaching me to read was the best thing that anyone has ever done for me.
Thanks Bro!

Since that day, some forty years ago, I have read something everyday. A magazine, a brochure, a newspaper. Something. Every. Day.

Expect for the what I now call the Dark Period. The first two years of my son's life. There was no reading of books. There was no reading of magazines. I was able to read the headlines from my local paper online, but that was it.

I don't regret the Dark Period. It was necessary. My son needed me.

I needed to read. So I started reading again on my birthday last year. I gave myself two presents last year. A mammogram and a library card. Both of those gifts can save a life...mine.

We must make time for ourselves. Reading, going for a walk ALONE, getting a mani/pedi. Whatever it is you need to do for and by yourself do it.

Our children will not suffer if we are not with them 24/7. We don't need to feel guilty for getting that mani/pedi or reading that book. I think it's important to give ourselves a time-out sometimes.

2 comments:

amy said...

I totally agree. We do need time by ourselves without the kiddos. I am in desperate need of some of that time - oye!

Best wishes,

Amy

Mom to Max said...

such very good advice. i had those years too where i didn't get a haircut, didn't buy myself new clothes, only read about autism. it is a good way to make yourself crazy. we are all in this for the long haul...we will always be parents so...yes do take time for yourself!