Saturday, August 9, 2008

I'm Sorry I've Been Away So Long

So much has happened!

I was looking for work and I'm pleased to announce that I have a job! I work in NYC for a lighting designer and I really like my job. Now I am a working mother again! Feels good!

I have to give props to my husband. My husband is taking care of business. He keeps David on a schedule,he has worked with David so that he now sits during meal times and he started working with him to use utensils when he eats and he's doing an AMAZING job. Just this morning, David used a fork to eat his waffles. Let me not forget to mention the home cooked meals I've been coming home to. Last night he made lemony/buttery chicken with capers, rice, and cabbage. It was so delicious.

David completed his summer session this past Wednesday. At his initial IEP meeting, we talked about having home instruction during the summer break and the winter holiday break. I didn't receive a call or any paperwork regarding that. My husband went to the school. He spoke to David's teacher and physical therapist. Very long story short, there is an IEP meeting scheduled for Monday to amend what is written and David will have home instruction. Now, that's the way things are supposed to work. Proceed in a manner that is in the best interest of the child.

We are very fortunate to have a school system that does work for the children. Our goals are mutually inclusive and that's the way it's supposed to be. I have had conversations with other parents who have shared stories of difficulties getting just the very basic of services for their children. Everyone who works with David goes above and beyond for him and I am so grateful.

We have seen improvement in David. He is much more aware of the world around him and he is now taking an interest in that world. He wakes up every morning singing. He is physically stronger and less prone to tantrums. He didn't get to where he is now simply with the passage of time. He has arrived through his own efforts, the efforts of his parents, teachers, therapists, and loved ones. With our children, everyday is work. We don't have the luxury of taking anything for granted.

Just a little something about Michael Savage:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200807170005

Ok, Michael Savage is a right-winged shock jock.

Do I care what he thinks? Nope

His comments were as hurtful as they were ignorant. I feel sorry for his ignorance.

Britney Spears- I read this week that there is a concern that her younger son is on the spectrum. I think it is important to note that this is newsworthy. Would it have been three years ago. Autism education and awareness is working.

1 comment:

Maddy said...

Just a rant to up the ratings I suspect.

If you have a free mo, nip on over and collect your award [Saturday]
Cheers