Wednesday, March 11, 2009

THE UGLY!!

Last night was ugly! No, it was more like fugly.

I went to the grocery store and I returned at 8:30. David was asleep. I thought, great! I can get some down time.

At 12:30 when I was going to sleep, I thought I heard him singing. I went to check on him and I didn't hear anything through the door. So, I thought he was putting himself back to sleep.

NO! He did not put himself back to sleep. He woke up at 12:30 and did not go back to sleep until 6:30 this morning.

He was out of control crazy. I couldn't soothe him. I couldn't get him to be quiet. I fed him. I turned Elmo on. Nothing worked.

He couldn't be still. He was jumping, screaming, singing, banging on the walls. He was doing back flips off the recliner directly into forward rolls on the floor. (He had great form too)

What the hell?

I don't even know why this happened. His sleeping patterns have been off lately. His teacher reports that David is pretty much done at 1pm and seeks naps until 3:00

Sigh...It was ugly. I hope there is a long lapse until the next Ugly.

5 comments:

Kamilla Bell said...

those long nights can be yucky. We've had a few of them ourselves. Have you thought about Meletonin. I've heard it works well for a lot of kids with the spectrum. Some kids just don't produce enough of it naturally. Talk to your DAN! doctor and see what he says.

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Hi Kamilla.

We don't have a DAN doc yet.
We use melatonin. Lately David hasn't been sleeping through the night.It's like having a newborn in the house!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
My name is Amy and I'm the mom of two autistic kiddos. My daughter is 6 and son is 2 and a half. We just had a long night almost exactly like you described. We use Melitonin but it only helps them get to sleep not stay asleep. I don't really have any words of wisdom but I just wanted you to know it's so wonderful to read about others having this problem with sleeping too. :)

Kelly Yates-Rice said...

Hi Amy!
That is so true. Melatonin will put them out, but not keep them out!

Hummingbirder said...

True! I love the way it can him to sleep but then he's restless all night (usually)