Monday, June 15, 2009

The Letter of The Day Was "V"

Yesterday was my granddaughter's birthday. She turned two. My daughter had a party for her at the home my co- grandmother.

I knew we were in trouble when David wanted to leave as soon as we pulled up to the house. He started walking around our car. Around and around.

We spent most of three hours walking around the car. He walked me around about 150 times. My niece Jodelle was walked around about 20 times and Jodelle's husband was good for 5 laps.

Our car is a Volvo. Volvo has two Vs. Our license plate has one letter V. Several other cars parked on the street had Vs in the license plates or on the license plate covers or on bumper stickers.

How do I know? Because David took the time to show me EACH AND EVERY ONE.

Social situations are often difficult for David. Yesterday was probably one of the more challenging days. I would put it into the top ten. He was not interested in people at all. His afternoon was all about things. The cars, the misaligned pavement, the Cadillac emblem on the car of my granddaughter's paternal great-grandfather. David had to put his mouth on that( super YUCK!) because he never saw that before. He wanted an explanation of the symbol but I didn't have one and he was upset with me.

Now I know that sounds silly. David doesn't speak, but he has his own special way of asking for an explanation. It's a look with a raised eyebrow, a thrust of the hip, and a grunt. I had to tell him that I was sorry but I didn't know the meaning of the emblem. I would be happy to google that when we came home. That's on my to do list for today. David had a MUCH needed bath and dinner when we arrived home and he was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. I guess all those laps around the car wore him out.

1 comment:

Hummingbirder said...

My son is fascinated with letters too and will notice shapes of letters hiding around that no one else does.
I'm glad David went to sleep well and now maybe you can get some rest.