Tuesday, July 21, 2009

All The Kids Want To Do It

About a week ago, I was in the shower an hour before David was due to arrive home. While I was in the shower, I heard a child "singing" the way David does. It was so similar that I could have sworn it was David.

I was flipping out. Did I misread the clock? Was his bus outside and I was in the shower ?!?

I got out of the shower and went to the window. I dropped my naked body below the sill and opened the window. I didn't see David's bus. I could still hear the child singing and it sounded very close by. I peered out of the window as much as I dared while still preserving my modesty. I didn't see anyone, but the singing continued and it was so close.

I then thought that there was another autistic child in the neighborhood and they live really close.

I told my husband what happened when he came home that night. He wondered which house the child lived in.

Tonight, my husband asked me if I remembered the singing incident. I told him I did. He told me he discovered where the child lived.

I was excited in a bittersweet way. An autistic neighbor, Yay! An autistic neighbor, Oh no.

He told me the "singer" lived next door. I was confused. The only child who lives next door is a neurotypical three year old girl. I talk to her mother all the time and she never mentioned that her daughter was on the spectrum.

She isn't. She does really good impressions.

My husband was working in our home office tonight and he heard the singing. He thought David woke up but the singing was coming from the wrong place. My husband looked out of the window and he saw the little girl in her window. Singing away, like David does. When she saw my husband, she gave a shy grin and ducked away.

David "sings" all the time. Sometimes VERY loudly. Windows are open but it's been too cool for the use of air-conditions. My neighbors can hear David. David sometimes sings at 2am or 4am or 6am.

I have REALLY nice neighbors.

1 comment:

Hummingbirder said...

That's a funny story! Thanks for sharing it :)