Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I've Never Been To Spain

I haven't traveled the Pissed-Off Parkway either.

When my son was first diagnosed with Autism. I didn't feel angry. I didn't feel like throwing a pity party. I was numb for a few days. There was so much I needed to know and I didn't have a whole lot of time to learn it. Since David was already receiving Early Intervention services for his global delays, the ABA portion of Early Intervention began very soon after his diagnosis.

What I wanted to know was WHY? Not why me, why him, why us, but why at all.

There was no question that my son was born with Autism. There was no concern that his immunizations caused his Autism because he hadn't received any immunizations prior to his diagnosis. A conception,( I was 42). pregnancy and delivery that were so easy, so unremarkable, should have produced an unremarkable child- right?

I doubt I will ever know the why in my lifetime. I hope someday we have the why. The absolute truth. Until then, the why isn't important to me. What is important is being the best parent and advocate I can be for my son. It's important to keep my head and my heart open to new ideas. It's important to listen to my son, to be fluent in David. He had a lot to teach me.

5 comments: