Monday, June 21, 2010

Oh Gawd! I Can't!

Sigh...

That's David's newest phrase.

See, David doesn't have speech like one would have in conversation. He does use words and phrases from time to time.


About a month ago, I was reading to David-

Me: Ten little Monkeys jumping on the bed. One fell off and bumped his head.

David: Oh Shit!

Yeah, my son is a laugh riot. He says shit when he drops something or falls. He said shit to the bus driver when she wouldn't let him play with the radio.

My favorite Davidism is Oh Gawd, I Can't"

When David is asked to do something that he doesn't want to do, he will scrunch up his face and whine- Oh Gawd! I Can't"

" David, pull up your pants"

" Oh Gawd, I can't"

" David, get off the table"

" Oh Gawd, I can't"

" David, stop eating your shoe"

" Oh Gawd, I can't"

Yesterday he expanded on that phrase. We went to father's day dinner at M-Squares ( You remember them- Maria and Melvin) David ate but was getting antsy. My husband took him for a walk while I ate a lovely dinner and even had an even lovelier glass of Riesling. I went outside to switch places with my husband. The Davids were walking up the driveway and David was whining and fussing. I asked my husband if he wanted to eat. He said he wasn't hungry. I asked David the Younger what was wrong. He said-

" Oh Gawd, I can't. I want to go home!"

David has never spoken so many words at once before. Never. My husband handed me the car keys and told me to load him up. If he wants to go home. That's fine with me.

So we did an eat and run.

We gave him that one. The power of the words. Ask and you shall receive and all that jazz. A five year old controls our lives. We can only let him have so much power. Too much power is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands.

1 comment:

Hummingbirder said...

Too funny!! He sounds similar to my 4 year old (as far as controling our lives). I'm so thankful when he does speak, it's like..whatever you ask shall be given unto you.